Friday, April 22, 2011

LET THERE BE LIGHT!


The whole idea of this remodel was to open up my miniscule shower area for as little cost as possible.  No shower pan enlargements and no contractor charging $6,000 to do the job.  This would also give me the opportunity to infuse some my art personality into the space.

In previous blog entries I included different colored tiles and designs to see if the idea would be plausible at all.  Several pictures were posted on Facebook to gauge public opinion on those colors and designs.  The response was overwhelmingly positive.  While I generally follow the beat of my own drum, there is also some desire to get feedback from others.  And it's fun to interact with my Facebook friends!

But my boyfriend suggested that I might not want to use too many of the darker colors because the space is so small.  Hmmm . . . I like those colors.  How could I lighten the space?  Maybe bring in the next best thing to a window . . . clear glass block between the window in the adjacent toilet room and the shower room.  So where could I get glass block and how much does it cost?  I didn't see glass block the last time I went to Home Depot so after a Google search I found a place in south Sacramento, Sierra Glass Block.  On my lunch break, I excitedly bounced into their business to learn everything about glass block with the goal of leaving with three or four blocks for my project.  The owner's wife spent 30 minutes in explaining their efficient and beautiful system and was more than happy to send me on my way with four glass blocks and all the necessary foam, silicone, and detailed instructions, on how to install them myself.

It was so exciting to place the glass blocks into the draft tile design!


But there is one problem:  the light switch in the toilet room is a few inches below where I want to put the glass block.



That means the that the electrical wiring would run right through where I want to place the glass block!  And that's the ONLY place that I could put the block. So what's a girl to do?  Contact my contractor brother to get his professional estimation of how I should proceed.  He's coming over tomorrow morning to "school" his big sister.  Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment