Thursday, April 28, 2011

A STEP UP

So I had my marching orders from my brother on how to proceed with this project. I would forget about bringing in extra light with glass block right now.  Instead, I would concentrate on building a step platform leading to the shower.  I could always decide later to add a glass block wall on the platform to keep in water from the shower head.

Building materials were needed to get started, so we drove to my home away from home: Home Depot. I measured the shower area to be enhanced, figured out how many 2"x4"s were needed, as well as OSB wood, tile adhesive, more floor tiles, rubber liner/membrane, and Hardibacker board. Sunday night, I convinced my son, Matt, to help me build the step.

We did the Tim-the-Toolman-Taylor thing with all the power tools: circular saw, belt sander, drill, jig saw and a bunch of hand tools, and safety glasses, of course.

We measured three times and cut once . . . mostly.

The garage became full of sawdust.


We went back and forth from the bathroom to the garage, remeasuring, placing the pieces in the shower area, and examining the fit.  Then recutting, when necessary.  Later that evening, all but the circular saw ended up in the bathroom area - we got tired of walking back and forth!
First, a framework was made out of 2x4s, reinforced with supporting beams.  Matt did most of the measuring and cutting after I reminded him how to use the tools.  He is very careful by nature, so the cuts were straight and smooth.

We spent some time cutting support beams for the step framework.
Lots of angles.  Angles are not my best thing, but we were able to sufficiently create a sturdy framework for the step.  My Christmas present, a cordless drill, came in handy for attaching all of the support pieces to the frame and to the walls.  

"Are we done yet mom?" said Matt.  As usual, I wanted to get more done before going to bed. Let's get the step platform done tonight.  Back to the garage.


Matt took careful measurements of the top of the framework and distance from wall to wall and transferred them to a sheet of OSB wood.

 Matt cut two layers OSB that would go on top of the frame to provide the proper height to meet up with the existing shower step up.
 

 Pretty nice fit! 




We used the OSB boards to cut out the rubber membrane/liner about 4" wider than the OSB on all sides.


We also used the OSB as a template for cutting out the cement Hardibacker board, making sure it would fit snugly into the space for the step.


Then I screwed the OSB tops onto the 2x4 frame, countersinking the screw heads.


Now some silicone along the edges of the OSB before placing the rubber membrane on top.


More silicone between the membrane and Hardibacker should make for a self-contained unit. My brother explained that the mysterious "code" requires assurances that if there are any leaks from the shower that the water not get into the walls or under the floor to avoid wood rot.

By the end of the evening, the step infrastructure was done and ready for tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment