Saturday, April 30, 2011

A PROPER JOB

I need to cut some tiles better than with my manual method. So I looked carefully in the garage until I found the wet tile saw that I bought a couple of years ago, but never opened.  Yesterday morning, I looked through the instructions, as I was listening to the coverage of Prince William's wedding on TV.  Several parts to put together somehow.


The instructions went overboard on their many explanations of how critical it is to pay attention to electrical concerns. Electricity and water do not mix.  Unfortunately, there was no info on what to do with the second cutting blade, or which position was "ON" on the power switch - the "O" or the "|" position, or exactly how to use the fence and the miter attachment.

So . . . as usual, I did my best to put it together, added water to the tray (how much? the instructions did not say), plugged it in, and moved it into the tub. Since nothing happened, I flicked the power switch up.  Immediately a stream of water shot out from the spinning blade area right toward me.  It was cold! I quickly turned the unit off and wiped my face. Well, at least I put it together correctly, but I soon learned that this would be a messy, wet business.


I turned the wet saw 90 degrees in the tub so the water would shoot toward the faucet instead of at me. But that meant that I had to twist my body and reach over the unit as the blade spun and I pushed big tiles thru the blade.  That puppy cut big floor tiles like butter!


After a while, the spouting water lessened, so I turned the saw back toward me and shielded myself with an old towel.  I made short work of all the cuts I made.  I sure wished that I could take off a couple of tiles I had hand-cut to redo them, but the adhesive I used was too strong and they wouldn't come off.  OK, gotta work with what I've got.



It sure is getting messy in my bathroom!



Use the right tools, people, and the job goes much better.  A proper job!

No comments:

Post a Comment